27/02/2013

Analogies and metaphores.

How to use an analogy effectively?

There is no simple answer, since it depends on how much information is understood from case to case.
One example of this is when trying to explain a complex system to someone who do not understand it,
but do understand another complex system.

Example: Why do some countries do better than others on an economic basis?
The analogy I like to make is to view the economy as a closed thermo-dynamic system.
This is obviously problematic, and you should never make arguments from analogies - but to convey an idea, they are efficient.
So, due to entropy in the system -
 if energy (money) is concentrated/increased in one part (company/country) of the system (global economy) ,
 the energy (money) must be taken from other parts (companies/countries) of the system (global economy).

It's pretty basic physics - energy can't be created or destroyed - only changed.
If the economy follows some equivalent rule, the analogy works.
But the Earth is not a thermo-dynamic, closed system - so the analogy is flawed if used in an argument or taken literally.

I can always use the excuse that it must be interpreted correctly, though... "Well, that part is just a metaphor..." but that would be pretty, fucking dishonest of me, would it not?

Also, I'm obviously not an expert in either area - perhaps not in any area, now that I think about it - so please don't make an argument from authority based on this. 
Or anything else, for that matter.

I'm trying to get some coherent answers from our beloved officials, but I seem to not understand their arguments - so that'll probably be my next topic.
Maybe you can help me decipher them?

Doddy out.

PS. Watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus