26/02/2013

Well, let's get a clue about the world, then...

A stable ground...

To get a better view of the state of affairs, I've had to abandon what I would've viewed as 'common sense' about subjects I don't understand perfectly.
It's very difficult to let go of indoctrinated opinions - but it's certainly not impossible. What helped me the most was healthy skepticism and a quote from Richard Feynmann.
"Remember, the easiest person to decieve, is yourself." (Or something like that.)

It pretty much boils down to actually talking to many experts and people who have another view than me - and letting go of stereotypical views of how they are as individuals - since that's being judgemental instead of challenging myself.
"Does my view, opinion, argument hold up to scrutiny?"

Why am I doing this, then?
To learn. A democracy is worthless if those who vote are not informed or educated.
And to find out if I can help.

It's been fascinating, depressing, frightening and strengthening to take a step back. Some take offense that I change opinions, others welcome that. But as easy as it is to brush of the trolls - I can't build on a foundation of compliments either.

It's very easy to jump to conclusions when searching for evidence - and that place is filled with conspiracy-theories and religions.
It's even easier to stop caring about finding out - and that's where PR, corporations, "alternative medicines" and such lurk and profit of peoples' ignorance.

There is harm to holding false beliefs, be they supernatural or not. And there's always someone profiting from yours.

The "finance-crisis" is a perfect example of this. Stop fighting amongst eachother and find out who is not sharing the misery - why are they not?

Humanity makes the most progress when we work together - not for eachother and certainly not when we work against eachother.

I'll comment on some subjects further on, I appreciate your criticism and pointing out where I'm wrong.

Doddy out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus